DONNA M. FURNIER TOURNAMENT IS A GO AGAIN
June 1, 2021
One thing that can be said about our former Superintendent, she loved basketball. So much, she rarely missed a game featuring Jefferson-Morgan - boys or girls.
In her honor, we will be hosting the Donna M. Furnier Girls Tip-Off Tournament on December 10 and 11, 2020, as we kick off the winter sports season the next school year..
Proceeds from the tournament will benefit the Donna M. Furnier Scholarship Fund. Majority of the proceeds in the scholarship fund have been gathered through donations and the summer golf tournament.
The basketball tournament will feature our Jefferson-Morgan girls team and will include Carmichaels, Lincoln Park, Waynesburg, Carmichaels, and Beth Center. Match-ups and times are attached.
"We are very excited about this coming season's tournament because of the name attached and the fact we lost it last year to Covid," said Athletic Director Scot Moore. "Hopefully, we can find a title sponsor also to help fund the tournament and help with the overall expenses that come with doing something like this. I know Donna would have loved sitting in her spot in the bleachers watching our athletes compete. She loved basketball and she loved our kids."
2020-21 ATHLETIC SCHEDULES BEAR MANY CHANGES
May 26, 2020
The Jefferson-Morgan Athletic Schedule is nearly completed for the next school year and there are some interesting things that have returned, some new things added, and even changed for the upcoming seasons. Four schedules are yet to be confirmed and finished including rifle, wrestling, and girls MS volleyball. Those should be finished soon.
Following a year in which we saw the entire spring sports season get wiped out by the Covid 19 virus, we are hopeful that the sports season can return with some interesting highlights. HEre are just a few of the things we are looking forward to on the schedules.
- Renewal of Football Game with Carmichaels - After a two-year hiatus, the Mikes are back on the schedule. We will close out the year with Carmichaels on Friday, October 30. The Mikes will come to JM's Parker Field in 2021.
- Rockets matching up with Washington on Gridiron - That's right, we have been assigned a crossover game series with Wash High for the 2020 and 2021 seasons. We travel to Wash High on Friday night, September 4.
- Frazier joins Golf and Wrestling Sections - Frazier, for the first time ever joins our golf and wrestling sections. Frazier is replacing Uniontown in golf, who moved up in classification, and the Commodores have been moved to our section to replace Mapletown, which eliminated their program..
- Volleyball picks up Fort Cherry - The Rangers, coming off a good season from a year ago join our section as two teams move up to "AA" (Carmichaels and Bentworth). JV Volleyball Tournament will be held on Saturday, September 19.
- Baseball and Softball get new members - Our softball section picked up two new members with Geibel Catholic and GCC while the baseball team loses California and Avella but GCC and Canevin get added.
- Basketball goes AA, girls remain the same - The boys will see an all public school section and will be rejoining the likes of California and Carmichaels. The girls, stay the same.
- Rifle go to Four-Team Section - Upper St. Clair, McGuffey, and West Greene are the only members with the co-op group of Waynesburg and JM. Avella moved out to even up section.
PHYSICAL PACKETS AVAILABLE ON LINE
May 17, 2020
Physical packets can be downloaded for the 2020-21 school year online under "Athletic Forms." However, physicals must be dated after June 1, 2020, to be eligible for the next school year.
At this time we have not scheduled free physicals for student/athletes for the new school year. Please refer back to this page for updates on possible dates. In the meantime, parents can schedule their students physicals through their own doctors as long as the physical occurs after May 31, 2020.
BOYS BASKETBALL GOES "AA", NEW SECTION; GIRLS MAINTAIN SAME GROUP
May 17, 2020
Things are changing on the basketball court for the Rockets on the boys side of the ledger while the girls will go status quo.
The WPIAL released the new basketball sections for the new two-year cycle and changes are coming for the boys. The Rockets moved to AA and will now join Carmichaels, California, Monessen, Bentworth, and Frazier in a six-team section. The girls section will remain the same in Class A as the Rockets will once again compete with Geibel, Mapletown, West Greene, Monessen, and Avella in their six-team section.
The schedule for both teams will be released later in May or early June.
FACILITIES AND SCHOOL ACTIVITIES CLOSED THROUGH JUNE
April 17, 2020
The PIAA, in conjunction with the Governor's Office, has suspended all school activities through June 30, 2020. School athletic teams are not permitted to meet and/or practice on any school district facilities through the 2019-2020 academic year. The announcement came yesterday at the WPIAL annual meeting of Athletic Directors and Principals.
PIAA RELEASES MASKS RULES FOR OUT-OF-SEASON WORKOUTS
July 9, 2020
The attachment below is the information released by the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association in regards to the use of masks by schools.
Once again, if you have any questions concerning this, please do not hesitate in contacting the athletic office or send an email to email@example.com.